Galavotti, Jefferies Continue Football Career

Vince Jefferies and Anthony Galavotti pause for a picture
Garner's football team has enjoyed a very successful two year stretch led by a senior class that propelled the Trojans to a State Championship appearance two seasons ago and followed it up with an Eastern Regional Runner-Up this season.

Over that two year period, the senior class that paced the Trojans put together a record of 29-2 and on Wednesday morning inside Trojan Coliseum, Anthony Galavotti and Vince Jefferies signed their National Letters of Intent.


Anthony Galavotti


Nelson Smith, Drew Cook; Gary Galavotti, Anthony Galavotti, Barbra Galavotti
After spending the last two seasons as one of the anchors of the Trojan offensive line, playing last season as the starting left guard, Galavotti signed his letter of intent with Western Carolina on Wednesday. 

The Senior, said he chose Western Carolina over offers from Sacred Hart and Charleston University (West Virginia) because of several reasons. He cited the proximity to home and a coaching staff which has "been on me from the beginning."

He continued, "I love the mountains and I get to play against some of my old high school teammates in the Southern Conference, like Greg Milhouse (Appalachian State)."

Galavotti liked the fact that the coaching staff at Western was new and said the Catamounts were "a program on the rise." Starting nine true-freshman a season ago, playing time looks to be in the near future of Galavotti.

He said he needs to "get bigger in the off-season and maintaining my speed as I get bigger and bringing a good attitude into camp."

He plans to major in environmental engineering.

Vince Jefferies


Nelson Smith, Nadia Jefferies, Ka'asha Jefferies; Maribel, Vince and Vincent Jefferies
Over the last two seasons, Vince Jefferies has been the leader of the Trojan offense as the starting quarterback led the men of Troy to a 29-2 record, the best two year win total in school history and on Wednesday morning he signed his name on the dotted line and committed to Shaw University.

The senior signal caller turned down preferred walk-on spots at Georgia Tech, Purdue, Western Carolina and Appalachian State.

But for Jefferies, Shaw was where he ended up, when asked why Shaw he said, "it was the environment and coaching staff that made it seem like a great fit for me. I always asked God where he wanted me to go and He kind of just told me this is where I want you to go and where I want you to shine at."

The proximity to home was also something Jefferies cited as to why he chose Shaw.

Jefferies does expect to challenge for a starting spot at quarterback at Shaw when camp opens in the fall. "I spoke with coach and he said the probability of me starting early is very high looking at the skill set and intangibles that I can bring to the table."

He plans to major in criminal justice at Shaw.